Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I'll Build you a rainbow

So, I was telling my friend Melissa about this song. It was made in the 70's and put out by the church. And every time I hear it I cry. I know you all do too. Anyway, here are the words and narration to the song.


I'll build you a rainbow, way up high above. Send down a sunbeam, plumb full of love. Sprinkle down raindrops, teardrops of joy. I'll be happy as spring-time, watchin' over my boy.

(Narration)
Once there was a boy named Jami. He had some great friends, but his greatest was his mom. Not in some sissy way like that. She was just different than the other moms. While they were busy going to their fashion shows and bridge parties, she was. home with him. They'd play in the backyard together, go on bike rides, have long talks, She was the best football player on the whole block. At least that's what the other guys said. They really thought she was special. You know, they wished their moms were more like that.
Then one day Jamie was called home from school. There was a big white ambulance in the driveway. When Jamie walked into the front door, his dad was talking to the doctor, and Jamie was scared. They said he could only talk to his mom for a minute, and when he tiptoed into the bedroom and saw his mother lying on the bed, she smiled and whispered, "Hi, Big J." that's what she always called him, even though he wasn't very big. she said he had a big heart.
She said, "Jamie, I'm going away and I won't be coming back. I'm dying." Big tears came to Jamie's eyes and he said, "Mom, you just can't die," And she said, "It's OK Babe, there's no regrets. I've been with you more in eleven years than most moms are with their boys in a whole life time." He said, "I know mom, but you just can't die, you just can't" And she said, "Jamie, there's a secret. It's a special secret, and I never want you to forget it...
Families are forever, and even though you won't see me, I'll still be there watching over you and waiting for you." And he said, "But mom, if I can't see you, well then, how will I know you're there?" She thought a minute, and then she smiled and answered..."
She kissed him, closed her eyes, and she was gone. As Jamie and his dad stood in the driveway watching the ambulance drive away, his dad broke down and started to cry. They hugged each other real tight and Jamie felt his dad's teardrops on his own cheeks and cried too. Then he remembered the secret and he looked up and sure enough, there it was, right over their house, a big rainbow, just like she said. And he said, "Dad, dad, it's alright..Families are forever."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this song! Thanks for introducing me!

Anonymous said...

This song was sung at my fiance's funeral and it was so touching. I bawl every time I hear it. Thanks for reminding me about it. I haven't thought about it for some time.

Anonymous said...

It made me cry - what a great song!!!

ap said...

i think bob barker brought this song to seminary once

Kimmy said...

Are you refering to Bob Barker as in my brother?