Monday, July 09, 2007

Dan's Mighty Market


Just got off the phone with the Mayor himself. He tells me that good old Dan's Mighty Market is being torn down right at this very moment. Immediately a rush of memories flooded my mind. Michelle and I and sometimes some of our friends and cousins used to ride our bikes to Dan's for candy. Mom would give us all her spare change, so in order to get as much as we could, we would by all of the 10 cent candies. I loved jolly rancher sticks and Laffy taffy bars. Mmmmmmm. So, needless to say it saddens me to know that the next time I go to Blackfoot, Dan's Mighty Market won't be there to greet me on the way home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband just found your blog about Dan's Mighty Market in Blackfoot. Dan is my Dad. He passed away 5yrs ago. My sister sent me a txt msg last night to tell me the store will be torn down in the a.m. Its now the a.m. I dont live in Blackfoot anymore but ironically i am in the area right now. I dont know at this moment if I should go and see this happen. My parents worked so hard there. My Dads knees wore out and my Moms hips wore out from all the miles they walked on those concrete floors. We all have our blood, sweat and tears in that building. I grew up in that store. As a child I spent many many days there with my parents and my older brother and sister. I worked there until parents retired and sold it. It makes me sad to see the condition its been in since then. I probably sold you and your friends and cousins some of that candy. I have so many memories flooding my mind as well. I thank God for remembrance. Thanks for writing about Dans Mighty Market. Its very thoughtful of you. I have missed the store for a long time but I am sure now I will miss it even more. Tanya

Kimmy said...

Tanya--Thank you for the comment about the your dad's store. Also, your dad must have been a wonderful man and hard working too. I can appreciate the value of all those blood, sweat, and tears and am grateful for the memory that remains for me. I'm sure that the legacy lives on in you. You must be an incredible person too because of all your dad taught you.